Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Taxonomic Tree Viewer

I wanted an overview of taxonomic data from multiple 16S RNA amplicon sequencing experiments. I took this as an opportunity to brush up on my web development skills. Web development is truly a multi-discipline undertaking involving client side scripting with Javascript/jQuery, layout using HTML and CSS, data transfer with AJAX and JSON, and running all this on an appropriate web server using Rails or a Rails based CMS.

Here I present the client side part of my Taxonomic Tree Viewer loaded with the entire Green Genes v12_10 taxonomy (>1M entries). Loading, folding/unfolding and searching is reasonably fast. Currently the data is hardcode in the tree and the next step will be to serve the data along with meta data using AJAX.

You can play with the taxonomic tree here.




No comments: